- FT-86 Sports Concept, Toyota’s vision for a future sports car
- European debut at Geneva motor show
- Designed and engineered to capture the spirit of the renowned Corolla AE86 of the 1980s
- Front-engine, rear-wheel drive format
- Lightweight, compact and aerodynamically efficient body
Celica, MR2, Supra, Corolla AE86: Toyota’s great driver-focused sports cars of the past have inspired its vision for a future-generation concept model that makes its European debut at the Geneva motor show.
In creating the FT-86 (Future Toyota-86) Sports Concept, Toyota has directly referenced the excitement and fundamental fun-to-drive quality that characterised the Corolla AE-86. In its day the AE86 became a must-have model for rallying and circuit racing, with its front-engine, rear-wheel drive powertrain, compact dimensions, light weight, impeccable balance and strong power to weight ratio. Even more than 20 years on from the end of production, it remains a popular choice with privateer rally teams.